Opposite the St. Peters Church is the University Library,
which was designed by Josef Durm and built in 1901-05. This
kind of library, featuring closed stacks, was new at the time;
it combines functionality with representative architecture.
Built from the red sandstone typical of the region, it reflects
the Renaissance style of the Castle while integrating Art
Nouveau elements. One of the librarys most precious
treasures is the Codex Manesse, a medieval collection of handwritten