University Square (formerly known as the Paradeplatz or Ludwigsplatz)
stretches out to the west and south of the Old University
(see below), extending across to the New University on the
south. Hidden beneath it are the foundations of the Augustinian
monastery in which Martin Luther defended his theses in 1518.
Along the western side of the square, the Grabengasse traces
the course of the towns first fortifications.