In the Hauptstrasse, right opposite the tower of the Holy
Ghost Church, is the House of Knight St. George. Commissioned
in 1592 by the Huguenot cloth merchant Charles Bélier,
it is a gabled house like those typical of Heidelberg before
its destruction. The house takes its name from the bust of
a knight in armor atop the gable.
Bélier and his wife are depicted on the right-hand
side of the second upstairs story. Being one of the few town
houses that survived almost unharmed, it was used as the Town
Hall from 1693 to 1703. With the except of that decade, however,
it has served as a hotel and inn ever since the end of the
Thirty Years War.