The Jesuit Church, whose tower and roof loom above the old
citizens houses to the east of University Square, bears
witness to the Counterreformation. Construction of it was
begun by J.A. Breunig in 1712. It is the most prominent architectural
monument of the Jesuit Quarter, which features various buildings
once used as a theological college as well as the Carolinum,
which now holds the university administration.