A real eye-catcher on the southern end of Karls Square
is a Baroque structure built by Louis Rémy de la Fosse
in 1717-19. After 1805 it was used by the court of Baden as
a Grand Ducal Palace. Its red-framed plaster facade was later
remodeled along Classical lines, and now exhibits strict symmetrical
patterns. Its grounds to the south hold a large courtyard
and gardens. The Heidelberg Academy of the Sciences has been
based here since the 1920s.