West of the Bridge Gate, the Heidelberg Bridge Monkey now
holds a mirror up to those who look at it. This bronze sculpture
by Professor Gernot Rumpf was installed there in 1979.
But there was a bridge monkey in Heidelberg as far back as
the 15th century. Old drawings of the town show it next to
the tower on the north end of the Old Bridge. It disappeared
during the Palatinian War of Succession (1689/93), however.